Thursday, February 24, 2011

Where to begin?

I have been searching for a blog written from a runner's perspective that matches my own.  There seems to be an abundance of blogs written by very accomplished runners that offer me no real world application or connection simply because I am not at their level.  I wish I was, but I know my limits and I'm fine with that.  Reading about speed work, hill repeats, and 100 mile weeks is interesting to me in the sense that it doesn't seem real.  What I mean is that I can't possibly fathom the sacrifice and dedication that a lot of these runners exhibit.  I applaud them and their effort (and their 8 oz. shoes).  So I've decided to start my own blog and offer a runner's perspective from the average Dragon.  You might say it's a bit conceited to think that anyone would want to read about my mediocre exploits.  I like to think that it's a bit of laziness in that I searched for this type of blog for all of 15 minutes before deciding to just start my own.

Car Back! is the mating call of the mid-pack runner.  The guys up front never get to yell this because there's never anyone in front of them!  Uttering this simple, but important, warning has become such a natural part of my group runs that it's now almost an involuntary reaction.  Car Back!

I am the textbook example of the mid-packer.  I finish mid-pack in every category, in every race... and I'm okay with that.  I like to think that I'm improving ever so slightly with each race, and my finishing times over the last year will confirm that this is the case.  I completed my first marathon last year at the 2010 ING New York City Marathon.  My finish time of 4:08:00 was good enough for 17,568th place... or something like that.  That's about 5,000 places above mid-pack.  Who do I think I am with a finish like that?  Well, truth be told, I was hoping to break 4 hours, but finishing without walking was the more important goal and I'm happy to say that it was realized.  My half marathon PR was set last April at the Rutgers Unite Half Marathon in New Brunswick, NJ, where I ran a 1:44:16.  I'm not winning any awards, believe me.  Still, I get such a charge from being around a bunch of people that love running as much as I do.  Yes, I love to run!  I look forward to any kind of run with anyone that wants to run.  I'm lucky enough to be a member of the Raritan Valley Road Runners, and the people I have met there have become my dearest friends, mentors, and supporters.

So check back, please.  I'll be sharing my views on the sights and sounds from the middle of the pack.
Car Back!

Dragon

2 comments:

  1. 8 ounces!? That would be like running with bricks on your feet ;-) 5-7 oz is more like it, ahhhh light and fast! Cheers!

    @RunsOnBeer

    ReplyDelete